Re: [VAC] Most Wanted/Rarest/ Fewest

     Take a look at the Silver Streak section on my website.  I have a copy of an ad there for a 1949 Silver Streak which says "formerly Curtiss Wright Industries".  It shows a trailer which is identical to one shown in another Curtiss Wright ad.  This would indicate that Silver Streak took over from Curtiss Wright in 1949.  My understanding is that Streamline commenced with employees who broke away from Silver Streak.
     The Fredericksburg 2000 program indicated that Curtiss Wright was producing identical trailers under its own name, and others labled Airstreams for Wally Byam until Wally broke off on his own, in 1948, I think.  Following is a quote from the program.
     "During World War II, Wally Byam the founder of Airstream was forced to close up shop and take a job with Curtiss-Wright.  As the war wound down, he went to top management and convinced them that he and they together should build trailers after the war.  Thus as the war closed in 1945, Engineers were assigned to designing this trailer under the guidance of Wally.  The first examples were sold as Curtiss-Wrights in 1946.  Within months Wally tired of the arrangement and negotiated a new contract under which Curtiss-Wright could sell the trailer, but Wally could too, only he called his an Airstream.  They were identical.  C-W never found it very profitable and in June of 1949 sold their interests to partners which called their trailer the Silver Streak."
     Hope all of this helps.  Do take a look at the Silver Streak sections though, as I think you will find some of the pictures and brochures of interest.

-Tom

mailto:tom@tompatterson.com
Website: http://www.tompatterson.com