Re: [VAC] Help! Running Lights

So far on my '68 Caravel, the problems at all the running lights are
grounds. But when I pulled off the center front light I found a large
hole behind it that gives access to a hot wire junction behind it where
wires were wire nutted together. There could be a hot side problem in
the wall somewhere. I use a voltmeter as being more sensitive than a
test lamp, but it can mislead showing voltage until there's a load.

For longevity I believe that the screws should have star type lock
washers under their heads preferable stainless steel (which are very
hard to find other than at McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) in large
quantity) and that the contact surfaces of the screws, threads and under
the heads can be helped by a dab of aluminum conductor connection grease
from the electrical department of the home center or hardware store.
Aluminum oxide is tough stuff and this grease has crystals of something
that will puncture the oxide to make connections while the grease keeps
the aluminum from oxidizing again. Its far better than trying to scratch
the oxide off because the oxide reforms rapidly in air.

You need to use the test light with one side returned to a good ground
point to see whether the problem is one of power or of multiple bad
light grounds. Then you can attack which ever is the problem. At age 33,
it is possible there could be both problems...

Gerald J.