Re: [VAC] To Dull Shiny Aluminum (ah sacriledge)

Paul ,  I was going to type about this at some other time , but since you
kinda touched on the subject ,here goes........I can already hear the wails
of dismay and feel the burn of the flames comin' fer this. Most likely,I will
be hated and despised by the happy shiney people on the list for what I'm
planning....but , maybe not. ( first a little patranizing is in order     aka
BUT KISSIN' )         Let me say up front.....I like the look of a polished
A/S. They look GREAT !   but...ahhhh make that a big BUT.....I am too lazy to
polish my A/S. Also; I don't have the funds to pay for polishing. So ; this
is my evil plan.........(install whatever sinister laugh goes through your
head).....Awhile back when I first aquired my tin Twinkie, I was trying out
various cleaning and polishing techniques. All of them requiring lotsa work.
{{{>:o(>  I had to do some sanding to remove some deep scratches. For the
hell of it I put a scotch bright pad on my mouse sander,and used it over and
around the sanded area. It created a very nice clean and even sattin finish.
But the rivets polished up really bright. the look was pretty cool with the
shiney rivets againt the satin grey. I've already rechromed all the outside
lights and am getting the water fills and outer outside fixtuers chromed or
rechromed. The whole trailer buffed down to a sattin finish with shiney
rivets and details should look bitchin'.  The matainence should be nuthin'
more than soap an water an' a little metal protectant to keep the oxidation
at bey.  The scotch bright on the sander took only a few passes to do the job
and was not too messy. Way less time and energy for someone like me who uses
his vintage vehicles often enuogh to not have time to wash them. ( Hey! it's
the best excuse I could come up with for bein' too lazy to polish my A/S )
Trike #5384    '53 Cruiser  ,'47 Pontiac  (driven daily rain or shine)
     PS ......LET THE FLAMES BEGIN