Re: [VAC] Stolen 65 GT

It was actually probably more like 1979 that it 'went missing'... I'd never
met the young couple who took the little GT, but it was my understanding
that they were headed in a northerly direction... perhaps to Seattle, or
Vancouver, BC, or possibly even to Alaska (the Pipeline was a big draw for
young out-of-work kids in those days)...

I was going through my old photos recently, looking for the trailer's
number, and noticed that it wasn't marked. The dealer had taken it in trade
some time before I bought it, and the original paperwork (including the
original owner's manual) stayed in the trailer, alas. There is a remote
chance that I have something of it in deep storage, but it has been more
than twenty years, and i've covered many thousands of miles, to the Bay
Area, to Hawaii, back to the Bay Area, and now to Reno...

The police were never brought into the matter. I'd paid something like $1500
for the GT in '76, put a few hundred into refurbishing it, and had sold my
Bentley (the tow vehicle), my friend had been on a 'hire-purchase'
arrangement, and had paid me several hundred bucks already...so... I guess I
wrote it off as a 'wedding present' to the unknown thieves...

One unmistakeable modification that is unlikely to have been reversed:
I replaced the doorknob/latch with a Schlage or similar keyed deadbolt,
greyish steel colored... I'd also gutted the forward 'cafe seating' and
replaced it with a short couch, and upholstered both it and the fold-down
twin bed (starboard side) with navy blue corduroy. It was a rear-bath
model...

BTW - I've been convinced that the list I'd re-posted contains a
typographical error regarding a "14' Bambi" in the 1960's...

Still looking for a 'Baby Airstream' - perhaps some of the sellers I've been
emailing will check the list, and get back to me...

Thanks again, everyone...

Tuna.