[VAC] introduction

Hello,

I havent got time for much of an introduction at the moment. Just, hello
and glad to be here.

I own 1975 Airstream I31A5J3417 which you might recognize as a 31'
International but you probably couldnt tell from that that it's a center
bath unit, which it is.

I'll just jump right in here with my major quandary:

    I have a 1975 31ft Airstream International trailer (I31A5J3417) and
the lock cylinder of the door latch has ceased to turn. Fortunately, it
stopped turning in the UNlocked position.

    So far, I haven't found a locksmith in San Antonio who'll say "hey
no problem sure I can rekey that" (the trailer is out on our little farm
so I'll have to bring it in to a locksmith if I can find one who thinks
he can fix it).

   Also, this latch has no way for us to lock or latch it when we're
inside the trailer and the factory (as represented by dealer First RV of
Buda) says there's no replacement that has an inside latch or deadbolt
feature. The only replacement they list is just like the one we have and
costs (are you sitting down..? oh, wait, you dont have to buy this... am
I sitting down... yes) $540!

  For a little under $300 I bought a grab bar dead bolt that should
solve my problem of being able to lock while I'm inside. But it does
puzzle me that I can't find a replacement for the simple latchset that
costs a reasonable amount and has a deadbolt or lever-latch feature.

   Is that just the way it is in Airstream land? Or, is there something
I'm missing.
Thanks, vintage airstreamers,

Jim Dawes
San Antonio