Re: [VAC] Shelters are cool!

Sarah,
   Unfortunately, the canvas is heavy, even when dry.
When it is wetted, "heavy" is an understatement. I've
built these things, though, that only required a frame of
(pressure treated) 2"x4" lumber and prestamped steel
corners. The problem of weight (wetted) is likely too
much to overcome for a "baby buggy" type setup, although
I am sure that a "full trailer awning" could be
engineered (especially out of something lightweight like
Sunbrella). Shouldn't be too hard to do really, I may
start fooling around with some ideas for it this weekend.
Due to it's shape, the Airstream is very likely the only
RV where this would be feasable.

As far as the "middle of nowhere", yes, the (dry) canvas
would go in with me as well. Have the solar cells already
and am soon to begin work on afixing them to the top of
the AS in an accordian type design so they will lie flat
(stacked) of the roof in front of the ac, but be able
swing open when parked.

If I move to the boonies here in the south, I will dig
out a southfacing "hole" in the side of a hill so I will
have the benefits of earthsheltering to some degree
(radiant cooling this time) and also be sheltered fron
severe weather and the winter northerly winds.

Ambitious? Not really, have been a camper since I was
four, loved AS since I was about 11, spent many years
"roughing it" in the military...and am sick to death of
modern society. So, in 5 years 4 months, I am "dropping
out" at the ripe old age of 47, with enough income to
live (frugally) nearly indefinately. My needs are simple,
my beautiful shelter is already paid for, my sanity is
currently intact and I have a lifetime of experience at
"making do". I'll keep up with the world with shortwave
and "ham" radio, mosey into "town" when I need a
fudgesicle, and generally just waste my education and my
talents on living and not on making a living. But, to be
perfectly honest, I would never even consider doing this
without my beloved Airstream...what other manmade abode
could I expect to last as long as I do?

OK, enough of this crap, most of the folks on this net
probably have no interest in this stuff, but from time to
time, I'll share something I might have designed (or
robbed from another field) that could make living with
and loving your AS more pleasureable.

My apologies for rambling on this net, if anyone would
like to contact me "offline" about any of the above you
can do so at:    rsmith@elastic.com