Re: [VAC] wd 40 and #0000 steel wool?

 Do not use steel wool.  Unless you want a holy trailer you will scratch
the hell out of it.  Read the following.  I followed these suggestion and
got a nice mirror polish finish.

Roy
=====================
From Mike Vadeboncoeur:
Midwest Aero Restorations ltd.

Polishing Tips
Recommended Equipment
Electric Buffer 0-1500-3000 Variable Speed
( We use Black & Decker 7" Sander polisher P/N 6138 and Black & Decker
7" Cushion pad P/N 36239)
Course "Break down" pad - Schlegel #5 P/N 575 1 1/8 pile
Finishing pad - Schlegel P/N 875C 1 1/2 pile

There are many acceptable methods for polishing , however the
following procedure has worked very well for us. Some experimentation
is advised to see what works best for you!

Polishing Tips
There are 3 basic Rolite polish products that when used properly will
produce a beautiful brilliant shine to aluminum, stainless steel,
chrome and painted surfaces.
The first product is Rolite pre polish. This is a slightly more course
polish and is used to "break down" never before polished aircraft or
highly oxidized or slightly corroded skin.
The second is Rolite metal polish & fiberglass cleaner. This is an
extremely effective polish and will produce a very nice shine on most
all metals. It is wonderful around the house for Brass pots, planters
and especially for the automobile.
The Third is Rolite AP300. This is by far the best product I have ever
used. It is used on aluminum and is effortless in comparison to using
other polishes. Please note, when using AP300, be sure to use about
half of what you would normally use when polishing a little goes along
way. When you use to much you will load up the buffer pads. Experiment
with it and you will figure out how much to use.
Step 1 - For Aircraft that have never been polished or have not been
polished in many years and show heavy oxidation Clean surface of
excess dirt, sand and oil residue with soap & water or solvent. Use
Rolite pre polish and pad # 575. Apply polish by hand in a small 12" x
12" area. Buff on lowest speed setting until polish is gone. Repeat
until you get a nice bright shine.
NOTE - Between applications wipe off black residue with cleaning
solvent. Do not let black residue remain in cracks and around rivet
heads for more than 5-6 hours or it will be very difficult to remove
as it dries very hard.
When using a buffer be very careful and anticipate the direction of
pad rotation so you do not hurt the aircraft or yourself. Also very
important keep the pad moving so you do not burn the metal. A burn
mark is a deep bluish brown colored haze deep in the metal. The best
thing you can do is leave the affected area alone and let it cool and
return later to try to buff out the mark. Sometimes you can not remove
them. After pre polishing you will have a deep shine with very
noticeable swirl or pad marks which will be removed in the next steps.
Pre polishing is sometimes the most difficult step and may take
several applications to get the desired results. Remember to
experiment.

Step 2
Repeat the procedures in step 1 using Rolite metal polish & fiberglass
cleaner or Rolite AP300. Sometimes the step after the pre polish will
need the metal polish then AP300. That is dependent upon the quality
of the metal and the desired results. However, I do recommend AP300 as
the final polish as it is the best we have found. After polishing, use
solvent to remove the black residue and remove as much black residue
as possible. The solvent will leave a hazy film on the metal. At this
point it is time to final clean to a brilliant shine.

Step 3
Use a clean soft towel and vinegar base glass cleaner ( usually green
colored). Hand rub the haze away leaving the shine. This step must
sometimes be performed just to check the quality of the shine and
depending on your desire results you may have to polish the area
again.

Step 4
Rolite makes a polish & sealant that helps protect the finish and
"seals" the shine. It does slightly decrease the shine but it
certainly helps in maintaining the shine. Maintenance To maintain,
simply use a clean soft towel and the vinegar based glass cleaner. In
oily areas you will want to use a different towel and a little
solvent. Then follow up as usual with the glass cleaner.
This polish and basic procedure has helped us achieve champion quality
aircraft. There are many variables involved in the polish process and
that is why we recommend experimentation. I hope these basic
procedures will help you achieve the results you desire on your
polished aircraft. If you have any problems or question please feel
free to call us.
Rolite Products Your cost Suggested Retail
Rolite Pre Polish 2 lb. can 27.10 33.85
Metal Polish & Fiberglass Cleaner 1 lb. can 10.95 13.70
3 oz. Tube 4.75 5.95
AP-300 1 lb. jar 36.00 45.00
Rolite Premium
Polish & Sealant 16 oz. bottle 8.60 10.75
Other quantities available upon special order. Prices do not include
shipping. Illinois residents subject to sales tax. Thank you and good
luck!

contact: Mike VadeBonCoeur
Midwest Aero Restorations Ltd.
Vermilion Co. Airport