Re: [VAC] questions-wiring to tow vehicle

Steve,
 It sounds like you did things 'right'.

You're correct that the A/S color code doesn't necessarily match the
standard from the trailer connector. IIRC, the heavy Blue wire on the
A/S is, in fact, the charging wire. I think my '68 has a yellow wire
that feeds the backup lights. (could be wrong on that)

The onboard battery feeds the trailer brake magnets through the
breakaway switch, but only when the pin is pulled out. That pin must
remain 'in' except in an emergency or you will burn up your magnets
and/or run down the battery. It is NOT a parking brake!!!

It's unnecessary to worry about what color is what, just connect them so
the lights function properly. It is a good idea to wire the connector
according to 'standard', and if you don't know what that is, there's 2
ways to find out:

the connector is actually marked

and, there's a diagram at http://www.championtrailers.com in the 'tech'
area.

Naturally, you want to use the regular cable for the connector, it has 2
#10 wires, one #12, and 4 #14s, of the appropiate colors.

When wiring the Black lead on the tow vehicle side, it should be run
through either a heavy-duty relay or an isolator diode so that you can't
feed the trailer from the vehicle's battery when the engine isn't
running. I installed a relay whose coil is powered by the 'ACC' lead so
that the key must be 'on' to feed 12VDC to the trailer.

                                                   Jim