Re: [VAC] Tow Vehicles

I have a '66 Overlander, 26' which weighs 4400 lbs empty. I live in Colorado and
tow over the highest passes.  Previously I towed with Suburbans which work well,
but needed a smaller vehicle. I also have a full sized Chevy pickup with 7.4 ltr
V-8 which makes the A/S skip behind it.
After extensive research, I chose the Dodge Durango, 5.9 ltr V-8 with 3.92 axle
ratio. I loaded mine but you can buy one less equipped or if you want a pickup,
the Dakota is the J.D. Powers award winner for quality. The pickup now comes in
extended or quad cab.
As a general rule, for every mile in altitide, a vehicle loses a 1000 lbs of tow
capacity. At the highest passes a vehicle loses a ton of tow capacity in
Colorado.  I modified the Durango with a K&N Generation II Filtercharger for $250
which adds +30 horsepower and more breathing.  Yet even with this mod, the
Durango's effective tow capacity drops from the rated 7400 lbs to 5400 lbs at high
altitudes.
I have found the Durango as equipped to be a superb tow vehicle and very
comfortable. On one stretch from Grand Junction up to Vail the Durango returned 12
mpg in overdrive most of the way, a remarkable feat at that altitude.
If you are at a lower altitude, the V-8 Explorer is a good choice as well,
although I give the nod to the Dodge with the 4.7 ltr V-8  for the same or less
money. The Chevy/GMC 4.8 ltr p/u is a great choice for economy and power. Stay
away from 6 cylinder engines for this level of work. The V-8's do a better job
without strain and better long term reliability. I know this doesn't sound
politically correct but gasoline is your cheapest cost of tow vehicle ownership,
still.
Randy Unter
Lakewood, CO