Re: [VAC] 2 weeks from P-Day

Hi Bob,  you ask if the polishing with a buffer is difficult.   I say
that it gets increasingly difficult as the polisher gets heavier.  The
old Wen polisher I had was fairly light, but I didn't like the pad
fitting arrangement.  The Milwaukee I had was great, but heavy.  That's
why I'm still searching for something light, yet variable and strong
enough to last the rigors.  There has been some discussion about the
'grain' of the Aluminum.  Aluminum is not like wood, with a grain.  Some
people refer to the grain as those brushed marks that certain aluminum
sheets contain.  Aluminum sheets with cladding of pure aluminum do not
have a grain.  Some aluminum from large rolls, have a brushed look that
may have come from the roller mill.  According to engineers with whom I
have spoken, the sheet aluminum used on our Airstreams does not have a
grain.  If you can find a trust worthy pro to do the polishing for $100
per foot, it might be worth it. Some pro's that I know, are no longer
doing it because they can't make any money at $100 per foot.   If you
decide to do it, and invest the time and effort, and buy the proper
equipment, you will receive a great deal of personal satisfaction.  Just
remember this, the first time you polish, it may not look too good.  The
second time, it will look better.  The third time, and with experience,
the right weather conditions, the proper slow and variable speed buffer,
nice clean pads, and AP-300, and perseverance, your coach will look like
new, and you will be proud of it.  Have at it Bob, and please bring your
equipment and polish to the International rally in Bismarck, ....you can
join us in a polishing demo.  It's called OJT, on the job training, lots
of fun, and everyone gets dirty.  We look like the coal bin boys when
we're finished.

Bill Scott
61 Bambi
66 Trade Wind LY