Re: [VAC] Towing characteristics

I have the Reese Dual Cam hitch. It is a combination weight-distribution and
sway control hitch.  I have added two Reese friction sway controls to mine
because I felt I needed the additional control.  I tow a 27 foot Airstream
with a 2000 Ford Expedition.  The Expedition has very large 17" tires which
may be inflated only to about 40psi which allows considerable "wiggle" or
side-to-side movement.

The Dual-cam is noisy and it is normal for the cams to pop out of the grooves
when turning sharply.

I release the tension on my two friction sway controls when I know I will be
in some close quarters, like maneuvering in a campground or backing into my
driveway.  Thus far, I have not removed the tension on the Dual cams until I
have parked.

I had some "lightness" in my tow vehicle on one setting of the tension bars,
so I took up one more link and that cured it.

I experienced some fore and aft jerking at certain speeds but that was cured
by having the wheels of the Airstream balanced. I am not sure if that was the
kind of motion you called "porpoising."

By the way, Reese literature says not to lubricate the cams but it is OK to
place a light coating of Vaseline on them.  Sounds a little contradictory to
me.

Ed