Re: [VAC] Towing characteristics

Greetings Nick!

Nick Novia wrote:

> Maybe some of you out there, who are familiar with Reese's "Dual Cam" anti-sway
> system, can reaasure me that what is happening is normal.
>
> Is it normal for the "cam" to unseat itself when manuevering in tight quarters?
>  One spring bar is pulled forward, while the other(inside the turn)is pushed
> to the rear.

Yes, it is normal for the cam to momentarily unseat when maneuvering in tight quarters
- - and this movement is of ten accompanied by a loud pop or clunk.  If you don't have
the set-up instructions from Reese, try contacting them as the adjustment is quite
easy using their step-by-step instruction sheet.

> Do you normally unhook the the cams while working close?  It seems to me that
> some movement is a must.  The only way to avoid this, I would think, is to really
> crank up the pressure a couple more links, but I didn't think that was the right
> way either.

This is one of the reasons that I chose the dual cam system - - it does not need to be
disconnected when backing or maneuvering the trailer in tight spaces.

> While towing, sometimes I felt like the two vehicles were sort of "porpoising"
> just slightly, while going down the road.  Not badly, but sometimes steadily,
> unless I accelerated, or braked.  Normal?

I don't think this porpoising is the result of the dual cam set up.  There are certain
roads in my area where I know that this is going to happen regardless of how I have my
Reese hitch adjusted.  It is a harmonic reaction created by the expansion joints in
the pavement being  crossed by the tow vehicle and trailer.  The way that it was
explained to me is that the problem is amplified in certain vehicles with particular
relationships of wheelbase of tow vehicle in relation to trailer axles.  My experience
tended to bear this theory out as when I changed tow vehicles two years ago, the
porpoising disappeared on one of the roads - - but appeared on another road where it
hadn't been evident before.  Adjusting the chains can reduce the porpoising, but on
roads where the geometry is there- - the porpoising will follow.

> I didn't notice this while towing last week with the regular "weight distribution"
> set up, which is nearly the same, but without the "cams."
>
> Nick
> '68 Safari....newbie

Good luck with your Safari!

Kevin Allen
WBCCI/VAC #6359
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban