Re: [VAC] Potty problems

Hi Tim,

We have a similar layout and I have done seen the elephant on this one. Where is it leaking from. exactly? There are several places in the un-necessary amount of copper tubing joints/valves/Ls and Ts where leaks can occur. Then there is the gasketed join between the ceramic bowl and the bottom flush mechanism. And then there is the horn from the fiberglass holding tank up into the bottom of the flush apparatus. Any one or several of these can leak and cause problems. We discovered ours as we were on our way back from the '98 Int'l rally in Boise, ID heading back to North Carolina. Pulled into a station to refuel and a nice lady asked if that thing dragging along under the back of the Overlander was really supposed to do that. The sheet metal (not aluminum) pan that holds the fiberglass brown tank, had rusted through and the weight of it (no, it wasn't empty) caused it to come down through the aluminum belly pan on one side and drag along the pavement. Got home alright, but I'd love to go back and see how big that tree has grown compared to it's mates. Pulled everything out of "the one-stop compartment", built a new aluminum tank to hold the repaired fiberglass tank, re-plumbed everything with PEX and Flair-it fittings, globe valves and a macerator. Eliminated a bunch of plumbing to the toilet (bowl wash-down, one sprayer and the anti-syphon since now no water goes into the toilet from any source other than the combo shower/sink/toilet sprayer). Also fabricated a rack which holds-up the tank configuration from underneath, bolted to the frame, so it can be lowered as a unit should it ever become an issue in the future. Bottom line: I think it can be fixed if the bowl itself isn't cracked beyond repair. I'd bet a fair number of new RV toilets could be fitted. The toilet seat would be removed, the new unit slid in, bolted down and the toilet seat replaced over the hole in the plastic surround. I took the opportunity to install a bigger seat, so can't use the folding upholstered cover.

Good luck, if any questions, write  us,

Gary and Sandi