Re: [VAC] Univolt converter

Astron power supplies are great for ham rigs but not so good for
batteries.  You do not want a constant float charge on your battery.  You
can be a computer yourself and put a bulk charge on for several hours and
than go to float and finally to a trickle charge.  Or you can get a
computerized charger and just turn it on and forget it.  (like a
Statpower)  I have had one for two years and I leave the rig hooked up all
of the time.  every 30 days the Statpower turns on the bulk charge and does
a complete cycle back to trickle, depending on the condition of the
battery.  This means you should get more like four or five years out of
your batteries rather than two.  With my original airstream charger I got
cooked batteries if I left the charger on for a week or more.