[VAC] Obtaining the Grits (sanding that is..)

I'm going to be step sanding my interior panels, once they are free of
paint.

My challenge is to find the best recommendation for a sander and the sanding
pads to go with it.

Everything I've found in the stores so far has been a wide variety---but I'm
having a harder time finding the sandpaper to go with it.  They only seem to
carry grits from 60->80-110>220.  An occasional 320, but not universal e.g.
only square sheets i.e. make your own if you have an orbital sander.

Does this mean I'm supposed to go to some kind of paste or liquid compound
after 220? if Im trying to get a finer surface?  A 220grit sanded aluminum
panel feels relatively smooth, but it is a far cry from any kind of mirror
sheen...

What am I needing and were do I get it?

Jay L. Griffin [a.k.a. Jrnymn "Journeyman"]
http://homepage.dave-world.net/~jrnymn/jrnyindex.htm
  /  '--'       [ ] O  )   Overlander '56 26'
  :-----O O---------------^#6066 WBCCI / VAC