[VAC] Aluminum Propane Tanks (New Valve Question)

Hey folks, a question on the new valves-

I understand about the New Overflow Protection valves which are coming
online next year. Here's my question-

What I currently have are two fine, but older, Lennox aluminum tanks
with Ancient valves BUT in working order, my local Farm Beurau Co-op
still fills them. At least this year....

Nevertheless, I am trying to find LP gas folks who will fit my tanks
with new valves and bring them up to compliance. On the phone they all
tell me:
 NO! buy new tanks, yours are Too Old..

What's the skinny on this? HOW old is Too Old? Mine are stamped 71 which
I hope is not the year (almost as old as me!). Are these LP guys just
high pressure salesmen (no pun intended), or is here a source for new
valves I can utilize?

I'd rather polish than pitch these tanks; they are in great shape!

Hoping to Get Cooking on This ....

Alex
66 Safari
WBCCI 8728