Re: [VAC] Interpreting Serial Numbers

Hi Doug:

Please be advised that you might want to replace the $4 window in time
before it sun degrades.  That was the situation I found when I first got
my Safari.  The solution to the problem was to replace what was there
(either plexiglass or acrylic, I don't know which) with Lexan, which is
the next thing to indestructible.

For instance, the three side window sizes on your '67 are:

20 7/16" x 17"
20 7/16" x 29"
20 7/16" x 39"

The Lexan (Polycarbonate) costs respectively (at TAP Plastics in CA):

$13.64
$23.26
$31.28

I have a south-facing storm / screen door that I installed smoked Lexan
in at my house in CA that is on a deck that is hot at Christmas (Mucho
hotter in July) and in the sun all day.  At first I tried to save some
bucks, so I put in acrylic.  It lasted about 2 years, got brittle and
shattered.  I installed the Lexan in 1995 and it is as good today as the
day I put it in.  Good stuff with the GQ stamp of approval (FWIW).

Later,

GQ '67 Safari

PS: Of the remaining plate glass windows I have, I am always amazed at
how flexible they are.  At first I was afraid to open them, especially
with the strange little "grabbers" that reach out and draw them in
against the weatherstrip since you can't do all three cranks (on the
large ones) at the same time.  It actually is quite ingenious how they
work and they are much more durable than they look.  I also noticed that
after a while the new plastic windows take a bit of a "set" so they don't
look very much different than the others.  Never Break either.

I have found this type of window to be very weather tight.  I have had no
leaks. The weatherstrip is extremely easy to apply and very effective.