Re: [VAC] Interpreting Serial Numbers 1966 Safari

Alex, you have a nice size coach with special items.

JO226547,   the J is the plant, Jackson Center Ohio,  the O is the floor
plan, and stands for Land Yacht, the 22 is the length in feet, measured
from rear bumper to the hitch ball coupler,(not always exact, but within
inches), the 6 is for the year, 1966, and the 547 is the production
sequence number for that plant.

The interior is vinyl covered aluminum, and fiberglass compound curved
end caps.  I agree, that latex has got to go. The vinyl usually turns
yellow from smoke, and other pollutants.  A good bleach and water
solution usually will clean the interior skin and kill the mold and
fungus that loves to grow on that vinyl.  Zolatone was used in the
fifties and up to about 62 or 63.  No Zolatone in your coach.

Your windows are nice, but difficult to find replacements.  The curved
Corning glass side windows were used in 66, 67, and 68.  The front and
rear windows are regular flat glass and easy to replace.  The window
mechinisms are no longer made but might be fabricated with much
difficulty and expense.   I have heard of certain craftsmen that can
bend glass  and make replacements for your side windows.  Again,
expensive and hard to find.   One recommendation, the window next to the
door , when open is at the exact angle for someone to hit with their
head.   I recommend keeping that window closed and using the opening and
closing hardware as replacements for other windows that may have broken
hardware.

There was no service manual made for a 66,................I think.  Feel
lucky you have an owners manual, and enjoy your Safari Land Yacht,

Bill Scott
66 Tradewind Land Yacht,....TWLY