Re: [VAC] Solar Power

Safety hoops got a lot of discussion over the past year.
I thought this post was interesting:

Subject: Re: [VAC] Wheel Skid for Single Axel
Date: Fri, 29 Oct 1999 08:12:40 -0700
From: Patrick Ewing <pre52@gte.net>
To: vintage@airstream.net

Paul,

If your trailer is from the 60's (or newer) I personally would stay away
from the axle housing, especially any welding, because of the rubber
inside the housing. Even with the bolt on units I wonder about possible
axle damage if the skid were ever to be used. Remember they don't even
recommend jacking up a unit using the axles. They want you to use a jack
pad on the frame.
You might want to consider something that attaches, even welds, to the
trailer's frame instead. On my Bambi I have skids welded directly to the
rear of the frame which protects anything that's underneath.
The Airstream's that I've seen with wheel skids that were mounted on the
axles were from the 50's and before the Dura Torque axles. This is a
totally different ball game.

Pat