Re: [VAC] Solar Power

Roy,
 I'm pretty sure that I paid about 20 bucks for my charge controller,
but there are more expensive ones available. Mine is a very simple
"shunt" type that simply shorts out the panel when the battery is fully
charged. Purists will tell you that these aren't the best, and I agree,
but we aren't talking about something that has to go to the moon and
back.

You're right that you do need something for charge control if your panel
is over about 20 watts capacity. Smaller ones won't overcharge the
battery to amount to anything so are often sold and installed w/o a
controller. Some people can actually get by on these very small panels,
but their electricity usage is frugal, to say the least. (Hi, Sherry!)

                                 <<Jim>>