[VAC] electrical question, '69 Caravel

Another question from one who knows Nothing about travel trailers of any
kind:  while the trailer is plugged into electricity via an extension cord,
is the battery being recharged? I was sanding the interior with the overhead
lights on (12V?) and before I knew it, lights went out, the battery was dead.
Husband out of town, question remains: should this happen while hooked up to
electricity? What is my problem?

Two Procurement questions:
1) around the sliding rods that I push outward to raise the window It looks
like there was some sort of gasket. Can these be found at an AS dealer? If
something isn't attached, bugs can easily come through the long slits. In
Mississippi that can be a BIG problem.

2) If I replace the panel just inside the curbside door, (exterior wall of
the refrig cabinet made of Birch paneling which is splitting at the bottom),
can I salvage the metal edging strip to finish the new panel's edge or is it
too hard to do? Would a better solution be to put a wide floor board/molding
over the splits?

Thank you very much,
JacqueT