Re: [VAC] battery hazard

Hi Airstreamers
I'm a licensed Master Auto & heavy truck mechanic, and FAA certified
aircraft mechanic. Been doing it since the 60s.
I have repaired & cleaned up after lead acid battery explosions. I have even
had them explode literally in my face (You do dumb things when in a hurry or
careless). The danger of top vented lead acid batteries is real, (any
explosion can possibly be deadly)  but I personally  have not seen a big
enough battery explosion to do much more than bend the lightest gage sheet
metal.....BUT....It can shower you with acid which can cause chemical burns
on your skin or blind you. The pieces from the case can cut you deeply.
Remember your mother saying "that can put your eye out"?.....

You can also trigger an explosion with ANY spark in the fumes coming from a
battery being charged, like jumper cables during a truck to truck jump
start. Did you know that many battery chargers have electric contact points
making small sparks inside their metal shell. Keep your battery charger as
far away from the battery as those little cords will stretch & don't put a
battery charger on the garage floor where the heavy automotive gasoline
vapors tend to settle.

Common baking soda & cold water is a good neutralizer for battery acid on
your clothes or trailer, If you get acid on you, flush any body parts with
clean cold water for at least 15 minuets & get medical attention or at least
get looked at by the EMTs. I have been lucky to be in a work environment
with trained help each time I had a "bad experience" with a battery.

Lead acid batteries have been & will continue to be widely used for years.

ya just gotta be aware....."S--- Happens".

John Young