Re: [VAC] battery hazard

Hunter,
 I've seen a motorhome burning to the frame along I-75 about 20 years
ago, it was quite a sight and had traffic backed up for miles. MHs are
much more likely to have such problems due to having gasoline on board
and more-complex electrical systems than TTs. Also, many RVs have really
crappy wiring, with no grommets in the holes where wires pass, unsecured
wiring, etc.

It's doubtful that 'the battery caused' that fire, it was more likely
bad wiring. A battery such as is used in RVs is capable of very high
currents that will melt wiring, cause severe arcing, etc. It is
imperative that wiring be protected by fusing as close to the battery as
possible; the fuse can be in either lead, but it MUST be fused. The
battery must be secured so it can't jump out of its tray or tip over.
Mine wasn't when I took delivery, and the battery wasn't in place like
it should have been, just on the trip home; one of my first jobs was to
make a proper hold-down. And all wiring must be secured with cable
clamps, Ty-Raps (tm), or whatever so it can't chafe and short out.

                                 <<Jim>>