[VAC] Fwd: Flickering Lights Puzzle

We bought a 1967 Airstream Overlander in June of 1999.  This is our first RV
and our first Airstream so we are very new to this.  We have had wheels,
axles, tires, electric brakes, and the propane bottles upgraded for safety.
We now are tracking down an electrical problem that even has our Airstream
service personnel puzzled.

On a recent rally, connected to a standard electrical hook-up, our interior
12 V lights would dim if we turned on additional lights.  As we turned lights
off, those lights left on would get brighter.  We did purchase a new battery
when we had other items upgraded.

I did replace some of the running light fixtures and, after I did this, the
running lights did not work but the brake, flashers and turn signal did work.
 It was after this work that we noticed the problem with the lights dimming.
The service man found a direct short in the running light circuit and
repaired that.  All lights on the exterior now work fine.  However, the
interior lights still dim.  Would the two problems (short in the running
light circuit and the dimming lights) be related or is the "dimming" light a
separate problem?  Someone at the rally mentioned that it might be due to a
defective battery charger.

When we hook the electrical directly to our tow vehicle, the interior 12 V
lights do not dim.  When the tow vehicle is connected electrically, is there
an actual trickle charge occuring to the Airstream battery?

We would appreciate any suggestions.

Mary Ellen and Evan Evans
Murphy, TX
bushybluestem@aol.com