Re: [VAC] Buyer's Hints?

You can find possible two major  frame type problems.  Rear End Sag and
Frame Separation.  They are two distinct problems.  Rear end sag is the
result of the frame bending due to excessive weight on rear end of
trailer.  Frame separation is when the body of trailer is separated from
the frame, normally due to the rusting out of the bolts that hold them to
gether at the rear trailer.  Opening up the back and replacing these
bolts and then covering the holes   aluminum  covers created the
"elephant ear" appearance.

Check the rear end for sag by grabbing  bumper and pulling up.  If the
bumper moves and the body stays put the chances are you have  frame sag.
I suspect, but never have seen frame separation, that this might give you
similar movement but probably not as severe.  Of course you can first
look and see if a gap exists between the body and the bumper housing.  If
a space exists be alert,  then grab and pull.  If you find either of
these I would pass on the rig unless they are giving it away as you are
perhaps looking at couple thousand dollars in repairs.  Be especially
leary of the  rigs  longer then 25ft with rear baths made  between 1970
and 1977.

Roy