Re: [VAC] Refrigerator Venting

Ed,

Ditto to Jim's message.

The solar refrigerator vent fan is claimed to increase cooling
efficiency up to 40% and my experience has been very positive.  This fan
is available through Camping World (although I couldn't find it on the
web site, I purchased mine through their catalog and see it is listed on
page 150 of their 1999 Master catalog as Product Number 9317, President
Club price of $49.49).

The fan mounts behind the refrigerator through the access door and
"pulls" air through the vented door and into the flue which brings air
over the coils and cools them.  The solar panel is 2-3/4" by 5-1/2" by
5/16" and is mounted onto the refrigerator vent with the wire run
through the flue to the fan.

The fan is available in three different power configurations: 12 VDC
only, solar only, or 12 VDC/solar combination.  I have the solar only
model because my figuring has been that the time that I really need the
cooling help is when the sun is shining and thus do not wish to waste
any extra 12 VDC power although it is reported to use only 0.10 A/hr.

I have been impressed with the efficiency of this little device.  On
relatively cloudy days I can still hear the fan turning around and
working while on hot and sunny days the fan is really moving.

In addition to this fan, I also use the 2-D battery powered inside the
refrigerator "Fridge-Mate" fan.  This product is also shown on page 150
of the 1999 Camping World Master catalog ($14.39).  This little fan
circulates the air inside the refrigerator which is particularly helpful
when you have a full refrigerator.

My experience with both of these products is that they are worth
purchasing and installing and should improve the longevity of the
refrigerator while cutting down on the LP consumption.

Tom H.