[VAC] Early style awnings, info needed

OK  hostorians and "mighty" Karnak, Here another vintage mystery
chalenge.......On my '54 Tradewind there are two mounts for poles at each
end. They are located at the junction of the flat to the curve sheetmetal at
the bottom. Inside I found the inserts that fit the mounts and the a poles
fit over the inserts. The awning rail is 16ft long. Under the trailer is a
length of 4" dia. 10' long metal tube with one end sealed and a hinged cap at
the front of the trailer. This is much too long to be for drian hose
storeage. Also if it was used for hose storeage there would definitly be some
type of corrosion. There is no corrrosion.zip,nadda. I think the tube was
used for storing the awning poles and maybe the awning itself. Any ideas on
this ? Thanx                Trike
                                            '54 TW