[VAC] king sized bed

Ray, I have been thinking several months about doing something like this. A
few questions. Do you have just one piece of wood between the beds? Does it
just sit on top of the existing bed "walls". Do you use any additional
supports? I am thinking of  using my current mattresses (they are in good
shape) along with two pieces of good quality foam to fill in at the center,
these will be stored on the twins, against the wall to form a sofa out of
the twin beds. Where do you store the wood? I wish to keep all the original
wood as is, so I prefer not to do any cutting, but the way the beds were
made, a 1/4" piece sticks up to hold the mattresses in place. I wonder if
this wood is strong enough to support the wife and I. I am also considering
installing lifts on the access door to the storage area under one of the
beds. It is a pain to hold up the mattress, then have to fight with the
door. Anyone have ideas as to what size lifts to purchase?

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander