Re: [VAC] New Member: 62 Tradewind

Janis, welcome to vintage ownership! I truely hope that you find it a rewarding experience. Lets see if I can tackle some of your questions...
The toilet, depends on what's wrong. If it is the aluminum base you will need to replace the whole unit (unless you are, or know of a craftsman), but this is not particularily difficult if you are a handy person.
Tow vehicle...Assuming that you leave your cast iron cookware set and water bed at home your trailer will be getting near, but not over 5000 pounds. (My 1960 26 foot Overlander weighs in at approx 4800# when loaded). I have been towing this Overlander since 1981 and experience tells me that the largest and heaviest vehicle that has the proper equipment to tow will be the safest and most trouble free. But this needs to be balanced with your everyday needs and wants. There are some mid sized vehicles that will do the job for you. I just reciently sold a Dodge Dakota with a V-8 that did a very respectable job towing. I will tell you though that I replaced the Dakota with a 3/4 ton Ford pickup. It is overkill, but after the maiden voyage, I have never been so pleased with the handling and stability of this trailer/tow vehicle combination at highway speeds. Things to remember in purchasing a tow vehicle:
    Finding something with a factory towing option is easiest and often the best, especially when buying new.
    If it has an automatic transmission, you will need a transmission cooler.
    Large rear view mirrors are a must for safety.
    Pay attention to rear end gear ratios. They make all the difference in the world. I have towed with many different sized V-8 engines, what makes the difference in getting up the hills, or accelerating to highway speed is the rear end gear ratios. I prefer 4.10, or something close. A 3.21 or even a 3.54 just will not do the job.
    You will need to have a brake control unit installed on your tow vehicle, along with a plug in for the trailer's lights, brakes and battery.
    You will also need a proper weight distributing hitch. I highly recommend the Reese brand of hitches. Expensive, but very good quality. I also like their Dual Cam sway control. Check and see if the seller is including the hitch parts, if so, you will only need a receiver mounted on your tow vehicle.
    Unless you anticipate getting stuck in the mud, 4 wheel drive is unecessary (and DECREASES your vehicles towing ability) however I have found some form of posi-traction very useful.

Hope this helps!

Scott Scheuermann
1960 Overlander
WBCCI 13497, VAC