The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] stuck propane shut off valve

In our 1969 Sabre there is a lever type shut off valve for the whole stove. There is also a tiny valve for the burner pilot light that you increase and decrease the flame or shut off completely with a screwdriver. I think?the pilot light valve?leaks because when camping this week we thought we could smell gas when we came back to the trailer. To test that theory I want to shut off the gas to the stove, but I can't turn the lever on the big valve. It has not been turned since the stove was installed I bet back in '69 and its froze tight. What would be the best method? from here? Gentle tapping with a hammer? Take?the valve?off and soak it in something? Take it off and replace it? Your advice will be greatly appreciated.
? Joe