The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] SS Suspension/wheels/tires

I have heard several times about leaf springs breaking while going down the
road, is it the spring pack/clamp coming apart, an eyelet breaking off, an
equalizer breaking, or a bolt/nut coming off? What is actually happening
when it is has been said that the leaf spring "breaks"?

The springs on my '78 30' SS are original, I have replaced all of the
hardware and bushings, but now I am wondering if I should have replaced the
leaf springs, axle clamps, and retainer plates as well? In the case of new
vs. old everyone reading this would agree that they just don't make things
like they use to (hence the reason we are  all so fond of our SS trailers),
that being said, if I have not had a spring break, nor ever seen one fail on
any trailer, I  cannot see anything that looks wrong with them, am I
tempting fate by replacing the original springs with new springs of
potentially lesser quality than the originals? What about adding air bags to
act as helpers in between the axle and frame, with the old leaf springs?
Good idea or bad idea on a trailer? They sure work great on the truck axle
with only 10-15 PSI. Is better to go with 2500 or 3000 lb springs instead of
the normal 2000?

On to wheels and tires, I have the original Western cast aluminum wheels,
which are 15",and have 10 yr old Goodyear Marathon tires on them, I am
having a real hard time deciding if I should go to 16" aluminum wheels as to
broaden the selection of quality (Non overseas made) trailer tires in maybe
a E load range instead of D for extra security. I have been told so many
different things about using Light Truck tires for trailer service; one
person says no way, another says only those designated as commercial service
are ok to use, another says no problem as long as the load range is ok. I am
trying to get back closer to the original size  instead of the shorter than
stock 225-75-15 D's I have currently, they are just to short and always look
underinflated even though I always keep them @ the max rating of 65 PSI.

Most of the SS's I have seen have black steel wheels, does everyone know
something about the Western aluminum wheels that I do not? Are they prone to
have problems? Anyone know of the recommended lug torque for the Western
wheels?

I am hoping to learn from everyone's past experiences, and not have any
memorable on highway adventures pertaining to any of the above topics.

Thanks in advance for the advice!

This communication, which may contain confidential, proprietary and/or
privileged material, is intended only for the addressee. If you are not the
intended recipient please be advised that any review, copy, distribution or
disclosure is prohibited; in such a case you are asked to contact the sender
immediately then delete or destroy this communication. Thank you.

  _____