The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Old stuff old times

Hey Ralph,
You didn't. I am terrible about too much of my bla, bla, on the list as by
now everybody knows. Such a kind group, really!

I struggle with the split rims as I actually like them. I re-did the four on
my 48 Vagabond 262, 69 Boles Fifth wheel, and the 52 Glider. I am lucky to
have a dealer in Houston who can sell me the exact tubes and liners. They
are a big outfit and really have the knowledge and specs. So just like on
this list, I learn a lot. The old rims are certainly unique if nothing else,
and have the old clips for the old hub caps which are also pretty unique.
The Boles doesn't use clips, but has the tabs and the SS Chevy bowtie moons
snap on and stay on. The Boles rims also have a rather neat paint scheme of
gold auto grade paint on the rings that give them a sort of rally look that
matches the gold trim on the trailer.

The Spartans are a mess with anything from 14.5, 15.5, and 16" split weird
rims that I consider useless as those tire sizes are a real problem. So I
have no interest in those rims.

Every time I pick up a trailer, it is always a horribly long journey. I
always take new Discount Tire white rims with the rounded triangles, sort of
like spoker wheels. The rims are strong, the tires are ok, and all are
relatively cheap. Same old story, get there, jack it up, take off the old,
pack the bearings, put on the new, and come home. So I wind up with lot's of
new and old wheels in 5 lug and 6 lug.

Now don't tell anybody, but I take a bottle of propane to air up the old
tires to pull it out of the nest and help with getting a jack under. Feed it
liquid side, and they will literally jump off the ground. The 66 Streamline
Motor Home out of Livingston TX number 5053 on Tom's site was towed home
with the propane. I did keep the pressure at half, which will instantly
increase as soon as it moves and it held all but the last 16 miles. Twelve
hours later, the 30 year old tire finally started to disintegrate and when
it exploded was a bright orange ball for a moment. Was exciting and loud! So
now you know I AM crazy.

I will never understand someone getting hurt on a split rim. Really. The
things are straight forward, easy to disassemble, assemble, and when
inflating starts, you simply stop in stages and keep tapping the lock ring
or rings as it totally seats and the tire traps the locking ring. That all
starts at about two pounds and at 5 pounds the thing is totally trapped. God
and green apples can't tear it apart at that point. The same procedure I
have done so many times on my 10:00 X 20's on the roll-back forklift truck.
Maybe they don't juice it all up with tire soap or grease. I just don't
know, and cannot understand. Even my Galion cranes are simple, straight
forward, but just so huge that I cannot lift them without a machine.

So I like the old split rims, but the reality is you'd really have to carry
good spare or spares because it is unlikely anyone on the road will or can
help, and I would not want to work on them on a trip. Really then they are
not practical. Just me, and I'm crazy. (see propane)

Your experience is good. Nothing changed in 30-35 years. Still the same old
stuff! Just nobody left who did it. Modern is good. Kids talk about the good
old days of the old cars. Nonsense. We all remember those days of ignition
points, carburetors, and if it was too cold to get started. First thing you
do on an old 70 Caddy 8.2 liter engine is trash the distributor and put in
HEI, junk the carb and put in EFI. Then the Detroit 400 hp juke box on
wheels becomes dependable. Good old days are like 8 track players, naw.
That's why old trailers are fun. You get the quality of old and easily
upgrade to the great new and modern.

I appreciate the discussion. I constantly learn from this group. When I
screw up I get to practice humility and that is good for me. Hey, I still
have all my fingers!
-Eddie-
Houston, TX