The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] Flipped axels (again)

I am trying to post pictures of my 1974 Continental Supreme. Last summer I
flipped the axels and installed new shocks in order to give the unit more
ground clearance and present a better appearance when hooked up to a more
modern higher tow vehicle.
 At that time there was much discussion about center of balance and some
speculated that the additional 4 inches would make the rig a tipping hazard.
This has proven to not be the case with us. We have put several hundred miles
on since the flip and if anything it seems to handle better. It required new
center pins and guide holes and of course anytime I remove a U bolt I replace
it. The old shocks were a couple of inches to short and the boys at Auto Zone
let me go back and dig through their shocks to find the size I needed. Of course
all was torqued then routinely checked along the road for the first hundred
miles as new U bolts will stretch. There has been no slipping and the axels
track is true. This was a driveway project and I recommend it to anyone who
wants to stop dragging their tail over every dip and improve the look of their
unit when towing with a higher clearance vehicle.
I will await directions for posting my pictures.
 This was not a 180deg flip it was moving the axels from top to the bottom of
the springs. a 180deg flip will not work as the axels are designed to flex one
way only. (dot ask me how I know this) Thanks Curt