From: Bussiere, Curtis L SFC RES USAR TRADOC <curtis.bussiere@us.army.mil>
To: sslist <sslist@tompatterson.com>
Sent: Mon, 21 Apr 2008 5:51 am
Subject: [SilverStreak] Flipped axels (again)

I am trying to post pictures of my 1974 Continental Supreme. Last summer I
flipped the axels and installed new shocks in order to give the unit more
ground
clearance and present a better appearance when hooked up to a more modern
higher
tow vehicle.
 At that time there was much discussion about center of balance and some
speculated that the additional 4 inches would make the rig a tipping hazard.
This has proven to not be the case with us. We have put several hundred miles
on
since the flip and if anything it seems to handle better. It required new
center
pins and guide holes and of course anytime I remove a U bolt I replace it. The
old shocks were a couple of inches to short and the boys at Auto Zone let me
go
back and dig through their shocks to find the size I needed. Of course all was
torqued then routinely checked along the road for the first hundred miles as
new
U bolts will stretch. There has been no slipping and the axels track is true.
This was a driveway project and I recommend it to anyone who wants to stop
dragging their tail over every dip and improve the look of their unit when
towing with a higher clearance vehicle.
I will await directions for posting my pictures.
 This was not a 180deg flip it was moving the axels from top to the bottom of
the springs. a 180deg flip will not work as the axels are designed to flex one
way only. (dot ask me how I know this) Thanks Curt