The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Flipped axels (again)

Curt,
Ok, come do mine! Most axles I have seen bow up to the center. Sets the
camber. Makes it track. I do not know of any axle that can be 180 flipped
because of that. Of course if drop axles flipping is out of the question.

I do have experience overloading my single axle tilt trailer for carrying
scissor lifts. On the order of a oversized golf cart type trailer, I put two
scissor lifts on it one time. Wrong! 8000 pounds on a 4000 pound trailer was
a big mistake. It squished the tires, towed 8 miles to my shop downtown
whereupon I went over a swell. The over loaded trailer bottomed on the axles
and the once bowed up axle bent down in the center, reversed the bow
exactly, and the tires both cambered in toward the top. I unloaded. The
trailer was rated properly and I assume the rating considers G-Force of the
load during irregular road surfaces. I imagine the forces can double the
weight on the trailer in those circumstances.

This expensive industrial trailer was impossible to tow back empty to my
north yard at any speed above 20 mph without severe duck-walking. I was able
to re-bow this very strong axle, return the camber to bottoms in toward
center and it resumed good towing. Loaded, the camber tends to have only a
slight inner bottom camber which can flex to vertical camber. I do know the
wheels cannot be bowed in toward the top and be towed. They look vertical
but actually have a slight camber in to the bottom.

So your right, the axle can't be flipped. It does flex and move during use
and needs the slight arch.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX