The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] towing

Just how are you set up to tow?

You will need chains, but as safety chains, and they will do nothing to stop
any sway.  They will however bring you into compliance with the law.

You need a good hitch along with swing, or equalizer bars, but they also
will do nothing to prevent sway.  They will serve to transfer some of the
trailer weight up to the front of the tow vehicle.  A sway bar will help,
but it is only part of the answer.

A very important part of sway prevention is having the weight of the trailer
properly distributed.  You need at least 15% of the total trailer weight on
the tongue.  In my case, I have 20%, and no sway.  That is where the
equalizer bars come in to transfer part of that weight up to the front of
the tow vehicle.

A lot of sway prevention has to do with your loading of the trailer.  Don't
travel with full waste tanks, and place heavy objects up front in the
trailer or in the tow vehicle.  This would include any spare tire.  Don't
hang it on the back of the trailer.  It is important to have the tow
vehicle, not the trailer in control, which is what happens with a swaying
trailer.

You can either purchase a tongue scale such as Sherline, or take your
trailer to public scales to find out the total as well as tongue weight.

Finally, I can recommend the Sherline web site for a lot of good information
and their towing tips.  You might want  to have a look there.  It is at:
http://www.sherline.com/lm.htm

-Tom