The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] towing

Vincent

DON'T USE THE CHAINS!!!  You should be towing with a load equalizing
hitch.  The first thing to do is to check to see why your trailer is
swaying.  I have a 1972 26 foot Continental Apollo, and it NEVER
sways, even when I don't use the load equalizing hitch for a very
short run of less than 20 miles.

>From my experience, the only way you can get a Silver Streak to "Sway"
is to try towing with a very low tongue weight, or if the trailer is
hooked up with the hitch ball way too high.  The main cause of your
trailer having a low tongue weight, is towing with your Holding Tanks
full.  The holding tanks are located behind the center of gravity of
your trailer.  Be sure you EMPTY all of your holding tanks prior to
towing.  Only tow, with the holding tanks full, far enough to get to a
dump station.  Also make sure you don't have a lot of weight loaded
into the "trunk", and back in the bathroom.  Make sure your fresh
water tank is empty or only has a few gallons in it.

If your tongue weight is OK, it should be about 10-12% of your gross
trailer weight, and trailer is riding level or slightly nose down when
towing, you may need to check the shocks on the rear of your F150.
Your tow vehicle should ALWAYS have a good set of "heavy duty" shocks
all the way around, and especially on the rear.

Ralph