The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Speaking of wood paneling ...

On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 9:52 AM, Tom Casey <tjcasey52@hotmail.com> wrote:
>     Sunni, Sounds like I have that same kind of veneer in my 1970 26'. Mine
> was peeling badly when I got it. I have taken all the appliances out and all
> the cabinet doors and draws out. I scraped any loose veneer, then sanded
> smooth, primed with gripper and painted with a ralph lauren metalic paint.
> They came out great.

If you have pictures of this project, I'd love to see them! Since the
list doesn't allow attachments, you can send them to me at
sunni.snake@gmail.com .

> I also sanded primed and painted every hinge. Now I am
> working on the inside. Should be done in about two weeks. I hope. It's alot of
> work but I think it will be worth it, and probably alot easier then ripping
> everything out and rebuilding. Maybe someone else has another solution if you
> don't want to paint.

I'm undecided about whether I want to do a complete rebuild of the
interior at this point. But my trailer is still new to me, so I'm not
in any hurry ... I'm going to learn my way around her, so to speak,
live in her a while, and then make some decisions that should be
better-informed by the experience.

Have you considered joining the Airstream forum
(http://www.airforums.com/forums/), and sharing your knowledge in
their 'Vintage Kin" board? There's some good information there
already, and if the forum that was associated with this list is going
to be down for a while, that board might be the best alternative.

Thanks,

Sunni