The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] results of the Yellowstone trip

Thanks for your description of your trip to Yellowstone.  I don't know about
the rest of those on the SSLIST, but I really enjoy seeing "Travel Logs"
from those taking trips to interesting destinations.  Your "Bear" encounter
makes one appreciate our Silver Streaks, I would not want to be "Tent" or
"Pop-Up" trailer camping when there are bears around.  Your description of
your views of the wolves has me planning a trip to Yellowstone for the last
week in May, or the first week in June next year, depending on the snow
conditions in the park.  The last time I was there the wolves had just been
reintroduced into Yellowstone, and we did not even catch a glimpse of one.

In my opinion you picked the best time of year.(Except for fishing).  I have
been to Yellowstone 11 times over the years, and it's my belief the best
time to see wildlife is in early June.  The snow has melted off of the
meadows, so there is good grazing for the large animals, and the bears are
filling out from their hibernation, so are more visible.  From the 4th of
July weekend on until September, the park is jam packed, and many of the
"critters" have retreated up into the high country.  I also found the park
excellent in October and even early November, but an early snow will often
close some of the entrances by mid November.

You noted the camp grounds are full by mid-afternoon.  Would spending the
night, before entering the park, in a commercial RV park near by, then
entering Yellowstone around 9:00AM and proceeding to a camp ground be the
best way to get a spot?

Regards,

Ralph