The Silver Streak E-mail List

[SilverStreak] results of the Yellowstone trip

We got back from Yellowstone Wednesday and I thought I would write up a quick
note on how it went. We got a campsite at Pebble Creek, which is small and
designed for tent camping and rigs (automobile and trailer combined) under 30
foot. You can drop off your trailer and park in a parking area within sight of
the camp if you wish. We managed to squeeze our 19 foot Sabre and the pickup
into our site so we were lucky. They do?not allow you to have anything outside
your vehicle or trailer except lawn chairs and lanterns. This is for a good
reason, a black bear walked right by us while we were eating supper on Sunday
at the picnic table. We dashed in the camper and watched it slowly wander
through our part of the campground, cross the creek on the footbridge, and melt
into the trees. They have had to kill a female grizzly sub-adult because she s
tarted raiding the campground, so keeping all food, dishes, and everything else
in the bear proof bins at the campground or your car is a!
  very good idea. We saw bears four days in a row, and wolves three days, including
eight wolves in the Druid pack feeding on a fresh killed bison. The Old Faithful
area was packed, but in my opinion it is worth?that to see the geyser. Gas was
4.20 a gallon for 87 octane. The average early morning temperature was 34 degrees,
if you are going to see wolves or bears you will have to be out late or get up
early so bring a jacket and binoculars. A spotting scope, if you have one is good
to bring too. There is a lot of snow still on all the mountain tops, lots of snow.
?Most of?the rivers were running in spring flood from snow melt so the fishing is
not very good. Most campsites were full by mid-afternoon. It was a great trip.