From: hardrockcorp <hardrockcorp@gmail.com>
To: sslist@tompatterson.com
Sent: Thu, 19 Jun 2008 9:07 pm
Subject: [SilverStreak] Torsion axle

I just replaced the axle on my 68 Sabre with a Dexter torsion Axle.  The
suspension seems better dampened than the old leaf spring set up.  I decided
to upgrade when I saw the tires on my trailer were too low of a capacity, and
the steel wheels were unmatched.  One bad thing led to another, like damaged
spindles, missing bearing sleeves etc., and part were hard to come by.  I paid
$500.00 for the axle  and $325.00 for the install.  New forged 16" alloys were
about $100.00 each and new 16" Michelins ran $175.00 ea. at Costco.  I had hot
spindles on my first drive and suspect the bearing were over tightened from
the factory.  Once I get that sorted out, I would feel comfortable tooling
down the road at 65-70 mph.  It is easy to forget that the original axle is 40
years old.  The new axle came with 12x2" brakes and an easy lube spindle -
although time permitting, I would have preferred sealed bearings.
Steve Shaw