The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] replacing steel piping with copper

Jason,
A little embarrassed here. I should know the pressure on the LPG system
lines. I am required to know. But I forget. I think is 5 ounces but could be
less. Natural gas in your home is pressured at 5 ounces.

Realize the pressure of 5 ounces is less than an inflated party balloon.
You'd just about have to have a fractured line or one really rusted thru to
get a leak. Propane is basically dry and clean as far as damage to the
inside of any piping. Exceptions are rescued coaches with lines exposed to
years of weather. The steel lines cannot be galvanized as that will cause
debris problems for LPG and LNG. So the inside of the steel pipe is bare and
raw. The outside black paint never was more than "barely there".

So just dust off your lines with a stiff brush, nothing more. Liberally keep
painted with shiny aluminum paint. The paint IS actual aluminum and will
soak thru dirt, rust, and into threads. Aluminum soon oxidizes, stopping
rust very well. Everything plant and oil field is painted with aluminum for
a reason and it's not for the color. So paint the pipes. It will look good
and you will fell better.

Think you have a leak? Just mix a 50/50 solution of soap and water. Apply
that to any suspect joint or bad area and watch for bubbles. Do that after
painting because the fresh painted pipes reveal all bad or suspect spots. I
seriously doubt pipes not struck by whatever got under the trailer would
need any replacement.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX