The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] replacing steel piping with copper

Jason,
Copper, especially then, and now, is expensive. It was not used. Steel is
also resistant to rocks and other failure that the soft copper is not. You
can change to copper. I do it all the time on forklift new installations.
There is only slight pressure on the lines anyway, since pressure is
regulated at the bottle.

Never use copper with Natural Gas, as a reaction occurs to the copper
causing a shedding and plugging up of the systems.

Your steel lines will not internally fail with propane. If there is no
external failure, there is no benefit to making a change. If rusty, simply
liberally paint with any aluminum paint and you need not prep before
painting with aluminum paint. You can check for line integrity, at many
times the possible leak operating pressure. If you want to do that, let me
know.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX