The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Introducing a new Silver Streak owner

The SSs (and Streamlines, too) are the best travel trailers ever built.
They are so well engineered and constructed that even an old ratty one
is probably worth restoring.
With late model equipment you will have a much better RV than anything
built today. If the old stuff work well, use it as long as it does. My
Dometic RM100 works perfectly after cleaning the burner. The Instamatic
rooftop heat pump works fine (Instamatic quit the RV appliance business
a couple of years later). Its ceiling plenum is getting a little cracked.
The American Appliance water heater is good. And the Coleman furnace
works well. Can't even find the co. that made it.
All the equipment is readily replaceable with current whenever it decides
to die.
Consider a new Airstream in the 33' range is $75K-$110K.
I've had my '79 Supreme Saturn 31' for about 5 years now and have been
nothing but pleased. My wife loves it even though our family has outgrown
it. In a few years our immediate family will be getting smaller, so we're
keeping it. It provides extra bedroom space for us now even though we can't
really travel with it any more.
Our family has just about whipped the carpet, so we're planning to install
new floating mesquite T&G flooring.
Al

-- "Sunni Maravillosa" <sunni.snake@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

I will be taking delivery of a (33 foot?) 1983 Silver Streak sometime
today, and I am so excited! I had been searching for an Airstream, but
a helpful chap on one of their forums pointed me to the ad for the
beauty I bought.

Anyway, this is my first time owning a travel trailer (had an
adventure with a motor home some years back -- one of the cheap "stick
and staple" sort), let alone a unique piece of Americana like a Silver
Streak. I've been searching for forums, resources, etc., but so far
this is all I've found. I'm looking forward to enjoying her, learning
more about her, and making improvements where necessary or desired.

Any and all words of advice or wisdom, and any links to good resources
for quality Silver Streak and general RV equipment will be much
appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Sunni