The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Hinges for Silver Streak

Eddie and all others interested in a set of Stainless Steel Hinges for
their Silver Streak.
It looks as though we will have a permanent solution to the
worn/broken hinges in the 1970-1985+ Silver Streaks.

I had a chance to see the "test" hinge today.  The new hinge seemed to
fit perfectly.  The hinge was just a trial run, and was not up to
"final appearance".  I should see the finished hinges on Monday May
12.  The fabricator is fitting the hinge project into his spare time,
to keep the costs down.

The actual hinge portion is slightly longer than the stock SS hinge,
and looks strong enough to lift the entire trailer by.  I suspect the
hinges will last the lifetime of the trailer + with no further
problems.

I am going take before and after pictures of the Stainless Steel hinge
instillation.  I am going to have the same shop repair some damage to
my door before I install the hinges, so the after pictures will be a
few day later than the before pictures.

The guy working up the hinges assures me there will be little or no
discoloration from the "Tig" welding process after he polishes out the
hinge.

The hinge pins will be 1/4" Stainless Steel, and will be slightly
longer than the hinge, with a "Hat" on the top, and a hole drilled in
the portion of the hinge pin that extends below the hinge, for a
"Cotter Key".

As soon as I get the pricing for the hinges I will post it here on the
"List".

Best regards,

Ralph Cooke