The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Hinges for Silver Streak

Bev,
Thanks for the kind words. I was sorry the battery thing turned into a less
than pleasant finality but I learned a lot from all the others. I just avoid
the G word now, which got controversial.

I tend to think real inexpensive which is also called cheap, but I have
limited money to spend so some things get the best and some things I try to
hold down the costs. Batteries have limited life so it's mainly a personal
preference and what can be afforded. There are very good Gel-Cell batteries
but all are expensive to my budget. I will say that if I could afford
Gel-Cell batteries, I would not put them outside of the trailer as is a
must-do for the lead acid type. All Gel-Cell batteries are sealed vacuum
packs including the little deer feeder and burglar alarm batteries. Gels can
be mounted in any position and put anywhere unlike the acid type. Batteries
do better when not in the sun or heat and now they get "legs" in this time
of thievery. So one of several benefits of the Gel-Cell is that the battery,
all the connectors, and wires can be moved to the inside and nicely mounted
and concealed without making special provisions for corrosion control and
ventilation. It takes it out of the "see me, take me" arena. Here in Houston
there seems to be periods of street shopping to fill pick up truck with
batteries that will bring $10 each at the corner scraper. Easy to make $300
to $400 daily for just the effort of breaking a window and popping a hood.

I have been caring for my mom in my home since 1998. There are many others
on this list who have had the same privilege and commitment. She cared for
both sets of her parents in her home so I have shoes to fill without
complaint. Each circumstance unique, I truly understand those who have made
the same choice. Her time is very short now. To say this is hard, lonely and
financially devastating does not begin to describe. A bunch of old trailers,
motor homes, and this list provide some sanity in an otherwise unpredictable
circumstance. I learn a lot. Most especially I learn there are others.

I think it is really neat that Ralph has something in the works. It will be
good to see a stainless set of quality hinges. I would make in aluminum
because I can work with it and weld it. I struggle with mastering stainless
welding and it won't cut or drill without a lot more work. The welds of the
stainless discolor and are hard to get back pretty. I think the only way is
to break-bend all the 90 angles and loop-fold the hinges. I don't have those
tools and would have to weld. The aluminum welds, break-bends and polishes
more easily. I can  use schedule 40 walled tubing for the hinge and weld.

I am amazed that with all the quality of Silver Streak, they chose to use a
pot metal cast hinge that like Ralph said, begins to fail from the moment it
is installed. Even if the most meticulous maintenance was performed, the
hinge loops eventually break if the trailer is used on the road. He is wise
to not install his beautiful new hinges. Those should be saved and maybe put
on display in a museum.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX