The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Hinge breakage

What seems to be the cause of hinge breakage? I saw one account
of a door pop-open that broke a hinge.
Corrosion?
Seizure from no lube, then breaks from forcing the door open?
My '79's hinges are fine but it was stored indoors for most of
the time over 20 years. The owner was fastidious about maintenance
even while stored for years.
There was some vertical wear. The upper hinge pin had worked itself
up, so I pulled it out (with door closed and locked) and cleaned
the pin & hinge bores, then installed a nylon washer to
compensate for wear & bring the door back up to its correct
position. I selected the washer by outside diameter and then
drilled the hole out to fit the hinge pin.
I have considered pulling the lower hinge pin but as it is seated
fully I would have to drill a hole in the bottom of the hinge for a
pin punch to go through and drive the hinge pin out. I would not put
a washer in it as it gets the road grit and so I prefer for the upper
hinge to carry the weight of the door.
Al