The Silver Streak E-mail List

RE: [SilverStreak] Helper training

Just got a repeat lesson in having a "helper" when parking my SS:
If the helper says, "STOP!" or "Aagh!" I stop.
If the helper says, "OK, you're clear, come on back," I get out and
look. Again.
I've been pretty consistent over the years but I slipped up recently.
Dinged the rear underside corner on a concrete block. "Helper" had
just said, "OK, come on back," and I failed to GET OUT AND LOOK.
Pretty bad as it is the same place I've backed the 8' x 40' Spartanette
into a couple of times, between a chainlink fence and a huge tree over
a narrow driveway culvert, with no problems.
Did the same thing backing the 28' x 8 1/2' wide x 9' high cargo trailer.
"Helper" said, "OK, come on back," and I failed to get out and look one
more time. Scraped the front side door on a gatepost. 6 months old trailer,
all shiny and pretty.
Al