The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Dometic fridge

Curt,
On the fridge, the one I bought was a Norcold 2 way, not a Dometic. The
Dometic's are the only ones I have seen the IC recall and fail issues. I
have slight floor damage to repair on mine (66 Streamline Motor Coach) so I
have not yet installed it but did free-stand run it on 120v and used a tiny
burglar alarm 12 v gel cell for the 12 v power. It requires the battery to
make it operate on anything. Tom Patterson's Dometic has the same
requirement of 12 v power. I checked when I bought and all need the low
voltage for the controller. The power draw is slight like an LED.

I plan to pay special attention to that 12 v power source when installed. I
already have 12 supply existing since I removed a 3-way, but I will not use
that supply as I cannot control it. I have done lot's of research on the IC
controller problems and am convinced the problem is over-voltage from power
converters. Like LED's, the voltage limit is 9 to 15 vdc. I have yet to find
a converter, even the $800 new "smart" converters that stay below 15 volts
finish rate when I check with a digital multi-meter. They all claim a finish
rate at 14.8 vdc or less, but will not stay there. These sensitive
electronics are like a 6 volt bulb getting hit with 12 volts, even for a
moment. All voltage limiter I have tried simply don't work, are too slow, or
rate-varied with load and battery health conditions.

When I install the new expensive Norcold, I will use the little Gel Cell
battery in the ample available area behind the fridge and easily accessible
thru the outside vent access cover. I will use a split spade connector on
the little battery for the fridge, and to connect a tiny 400 MA universal 12
VDC charger  plugged into the duplex outlet already convenient and existing
for the 120 V power for  the fridge. The little charger's finish rate is an
absolute 13.9 VDC and verifies with the digital multi-meter. If the fridge
was a 3-way, I would use the coaches 12 V existing supply to operate only
the fridges 12v heating element, but not the battery charging or the IC
circuit. I also used that existing power for a little compartment
convenience fluorescent light.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX