The Silver Streak E-mail List

Re: [SilverStreak] Da Door!

Ralph,
Some say is done because the coach body is stronger to the middle than the
ends. Two door coaches including my Spartan's, Glider Albatross, Schult and
Streamline's do the same. The adjacent ever-present windows, and the other
front windows allow a weakness and thus movement. Thus the latch release
risk and some of the latch and striker heavy wear we all see. Note that the
rear doors are not suicide and also go to the center body, not the end. My
Holiday Rambler is not a suicide door, but the trailer door locates in the
center.

Motor home doors never open suicide and I have a 77 GMC, 78 Argosy, 2 1966
Streamlines, 76 Silver Streak, soon a 78 Holiday Rambler and had a 66
Bluebird. All have the door in the center, never near the front, and since
passengers are allowed in the coach while traveling, the suicide door I have
always been told, is prohibited.

Like you I agree the whole concept is backwards for everything including
safety and rain. I don't remember or care about Airstream since the whole
thing for me is a mistake. The only mystery there is how in the world AS is
the only survivor of all the orphans which in my opinion are all superior.
-Eddie-
Houston, TX